Parents usually say their children have become their headache, they say “ my happiness, my love, my main reason to smile, my other half, my sweet heart, my headache, my everything”.
At home some members say like this “I swear I hate drama, it gives me a headache.” Men are troublesome, they complain about truffles a woman would not notice. The office workers complain, temperature of the building is too hot or too cold. If they have a slight headache they stay at home. Whenever I get a headache, I take coffee, two tablets (Aspirin), but today’s headache brought to you by dumb people.
Headache means “pain or discomfort in various parts of the head/scalp or neck. There are over 200 types of headache’s and the causes range from harmless to life threatening. The most common types of headaches are the “Primary headache disorders” such as Tension type headache and Migraine. Headaches rank among the most common pain complaints.
What causes tension headaches?
It was thought that tension headaches are mainly caused by tension as a result of stress, depression, anxiety, inadequate rest, bad posture, hunger, over exertion, staying in one position for a long time, working in an awkward position, food allergies etc. These are commonly referred to as stress headaches. Daily stress can lead to chronic tension headaches. It may appear episodic less than 15 days per month or daily (Chronic) and may last from 30 minutes to several days. About 30%-80% of the population suffers from occasional tension headaches. Women are twice as likely to suffer from tension headaches as men.
1. Migraine causes severe pain that may be accompanied by nausea, vomiting and other symptoms.
2. Cluster is marked by intense pain that begins around one eye or temple.
Triggers and stressors
- Difficult family life/ having problems at home
- Preparing for test or exams
- Starting a new job/losing a job/deadlines at work
- Being a perfectionist
- Not getting enough sleep (7-9 hours)
- Involved in too many activities/ organizations
People with headaches can feel much better by making life style change, learning ways to relax and sometimes by taking medications
Meditation Techniques can be used to focus attention and quiet the mind from distractions such as chronic pain
Remedies and Cures
1. Staying hydrated (Drink more water daily)
2. Relaxation exercises
- Deep breathing
- Relaxing to music
- Use mental imagery
- Take sufficient rest
3. Deep massage
4. Aroma therapy
5. Avoiding eye strain
6. Proper sleeping conditions
7. Getting adequate sleep
8. Exercise (Aerobics such as brisk walking, swimming, biking)
10. Avoid nitrates/nitrites, processed meat, caffeine, alcohol etc
11.Take a hot shower in winter/cold in summer
12. Ice pack
13. Diet (Take food containing multi vitamin, magnesium and calcium supplement. Avoid certain foods (sugary and oily))
14. Tea with lemon / ginger
15. Laughter increases intake of oxygen that you feel better.
I hope you will benefit from these tips to heal your headaches. Feedback welcomed.