Common obsessions include:
- Fear of being contaminated from germs, viruses, bacteria or “getting ill”
- Good and Bad numbers obsession.
- Thoughts of self harm and harming others.
- Fixation with irreligious or offensive thoughts about God or noble personalities.
- Upsetting images of sexual content.
- Apprehension of losing loved one through injury or illness.
Compulsions In OCD
Individual who diagnosed with OCD tries to prevent from unwanted thoughts and urges by doing mental rituals and repetitive actions. Person tries to get rid of frequent and recurrent thoughts thorough performing of specific actions but they have no connection in reality. People with OCD feel themselves bound to act upon these rituals despite the logic in doing.
Common compulsions include:
- Unnecessary hands, clothes washing and cleaning
- Rechecking things like light switches, appliances and door knobs
- Mental acts like counting, repeating words, or tapping desk or floor to relieve anxiety
- Unwarranted praying out of religious fear
- Repetitively “checking in” on loved ones’ safety
- Collecting useless items or trash
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) documented obsessive thoughts and compulsive rituals as time-consuming, individual feels stuck to engage in illogical activity. Individual feels unable to perform daily routine activities. For example, individual can be late at work when any intrusive thoughts disturb his mind and as to get relief from anxiety he might spend more than an hour in washing hands. Drug addiction can take root after the stress causing obsessive thoughts and compulsive actions that make person life even more worst.
Addictions and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Those who suffers from the mental and emotional pain after having Obsessive Compulsive Disorder often tries to release tension by self medicating with alcohol and drugs. According to the US National Library of medicine, more than one quarter patients affect from Substance use disorder who already seek treatment for Obsessive compulsive disorder.
It often show in movies and television programs that individual with OCD have some mild anxiety otherwise they are healthy but this misleading from actual fact. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is severe mental illness which disturb individual’s all areas of functioning.