Tough love is an expression used when someone treats another person harshly or sternly with the intent to help him or her in the long run. The real love of parents is to discipline their children with love and respect. Tough Love is a loving solution for families especially for parents that are being torn apart by unacceptable behaviors, be it Drugs, Alcohol, Substance, Verbal & Physical abuse. When the family is in crises, they don’t know where to turn. Tough Love offers really effective and practical support. How to apply Tough Love Parenting Principles:
1- Stop enabling your child.
2-Be respectful of your teens but let them know that you expect the same in return.
3-Stand strong. If your teen is in danger of destroying his life, you have to be firm.
Dr Sadaqat Ali says that parents can be friendly towards their children but they can’t become their friends. So parents have to learn parenting skills. Here are 5 parenting goals for every family.
1- Keep your eyes open.
2-Develop working relationship with teachers.
3- Work on social skills.
4- Communicate with children.
5-Help children become independent.
TOUGH LOVE is a self help, family support group for any person, who is troubled by a loved one’s disruptive behaviors. When other people think you are in trouble, we help you get out of trouble and suggest how you can get support for yourself. Most of us think we are ok…just leave us alone. Recognizing a problem is the first step to solve it. There is no doubt that Tough love parenting is the way to go you want your kids to be successful. Here are 10 ways to practice.
- Set limits and boundaries, that makes kids feel secure and teach them how to behave well.
- Use a negotiable style with children. Parents need to realize that not everything is up for negotiation. There are times when the word “NO” needs to be heard, in the best interest of your kids.
- Use consequences and other tools to teach kids to behave well and develop a sense of responsibility.
- Use family rituals such as shared mealtimes to make sure you interact regularly with your kids.
- Encourage kids for improvement, effort and contribution. Focus your positive comments on their participation in sports etc.
- Recognize co-operative behaviors with positive attention such as PRAISE, REWARDS & PHYSICAL TOUCH.
- Teach kids the skills needed for independence. Avoid regularly doing things for kids that they can do for themselves.
- Adopt an open communication style in your family where kids learn that there is nothing so bad that they cannot talk about it.
- Encourage a sense of empathy in children by recognizing their emotions and giving them permission & assistance to talk about their feelings.
- Encourage Generosity & kindness in your children. They show Generosity by sharing toys and other items.